EURO is pleased to announce the travel-sponsorship of up to two participants to join the XXII ELAVIO – Latin- American Summer School in Operations Research (http://www.marbella.cl//). Participants must be studying in a EURO member country – please see
The XXII ELAVIO will take place in Marbella, Chile, March 5- 9, 2018.
The ELAVIOs are schools supported by ALIO (the Latin- Iberoamerican Association of Operations Research) and mainly are addressed to young researchers and postgraduate students (both at the PhD and master level) from Latin-Iberoamerican countries. However, Ph.D. students from all over the world with excellent skills and special interest in the areas of Operations Research, Informatics, and Applied Mathematics are also welcome to apply.
The ELAVIO 2018 will be organized by the University of Santiago, Chile. Registration for ELAVIO XXII and the Opening Ceremony will take place on Monday, March 5th at the University, in Santiago City. On Monday afternoon a bus chartered by the School will transport invited professors and students to Marbella. Over the following 5 days, a range of mini-courses and tutorials on advanced topics of specific interest will all be held at the Marbella Resort. Closing Ceremony will take place on Friday morning, and that afternoon the bus will transport back all the participants to Santiago.
Research topics of the school include, but are not limited to:
1. Combinatorial optimization and polyhedral theory; linear, nonlinear and integer programming.
2. Graph theory.
3. Metaheuristics and its applications.
4. Discrete, continuous and agent based simulation, stochastic processes and probabilistic models. 5. Applications of operational research to problem solving in areas such as sustainability, health care, logistics, sports, agroindustry, engineering, telecommunications, finance and production, big data.
The official languages of the school are: English, Spanish and Portuguese. Talks and lectures will be either of the languages (in all the cases with English slides). Candidates selected MUST be proficient in both English and Spanish or Portuguese. More details with regard to this topic will be published on the website.
REGISTRATION AND GRANTS:
Students interested in applying for travel grant must send the following
documents (pdf file format) to their National OR Society:
– short curriculum vitae to include evidence of language proficiency in Spanish and English;
– a recommendation letter from an academic of the applicant’s university or institute;
– summary (max. 2 pages) of a work to present at the school in case of acceptance.
After selecting the best candidate the National OR Society will send his/her document with a short recommendation letter to:
Professor Jacek Blazewicz
IFORS Vice President for EURO
Poznan University of Technology
Institute of Computing Science
60-965 Poznan, Poland
Tel: +48-61-8790 790
Fax: +48-61-8771 525
30/10/2017 deadline for applications to be sent to National OR Society;
20/11/2017 deadline for the National Society to submit the candidates to
the IFORS VP;
30/11/2017 – submission of the candidates to ELAVIO organizers;
20/12/2017 – deadline for confirming paticipation
5-9/03/2018 – ELAVIO XXII.
The accepted candidates will receive the travel grant from EURO and the accommodation grant from ELAVIO.