Job Reference: 998916
Curtin Centre for Optimisation and Decision Science
The Curtin Centre for Optimisation and Decision Science contains 16 full-time staff who specialise in the optimisation and control of complex systems. To continue its growth trajectory, the Centre is seeking a new postdoctoral researcher to work on demand-driven research projects, conduct high-quality research in mathematical optimisation and operations research, and help drive research funding opportunities.
The Curtin Centre for Optimisation and Decision Science is part of the School of Electrical Engineering, Computing, and Mathematical Sciences, which brings together Curtin University’s expertise in data science, artificial intelligence, and digital technologies. Other major collaborative ventures in the school include the Optus-Curtin Centre of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence, the ARC Industrial Training Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science, the Cisco Centre for Networks, and the Curtin Institute for Computation.
Your new role
An exciting opportunity exists for a Research Associate or Fellow to join our centre.
This is a research-focused position, reporting to the centre director. The successful candidate will be provided with career development and mentoring opportunities as part of a young, dynamic group in optimisation. The position will suit specialists in operations research and mathematical optimisation, as well as computational mathematicians who are interested in pursuing a demand-driven research pathway.
In this role you will…
– Work on optimisation research projects with industry and government partners
– Participate in proposals for research funding and professional consultancy
– Conduct high-quality scholarly research in optimisation and operations research
– Work in partnership with industry and government to translate research findings into real-world impact and commercialisation opportunities
– Supervise and mentor PhD and honours students
– Disseminate research findings through publications in peer-reviewed international journals and through seminars, workshops, and conferences
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Ryan Loxton, Director, Centre for Optimisation & Decision Science on either email@example.com or +61 8 9266 9218.
Curtin University offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package, a friendly and collaborative work environment, generous leave entitlements, flexible working arrangements, generous superannuation, and salary-packaging. Our vibrant campus also includes an art gallery, gym, childcare, medical centre, and endless food options.
For more information on our university, please visit www.curtin.edu.au
Your application should include a cover letter, your CV and separate document addressing the selection criteria (noted below) to allow us to assess your suitability for this role.
– A doctoral qualification in mathematics or a related area
– A track record of publications in high-quality international journals in optimisation, operations research, or computational mathematics
– A strong theoretical background in computational algorithms, preferably advanced techniques in integer programming and combinatorial optimisation
– Excellent computing skills and experience working with relevant programming languages and platforms such as Julia, Python, and AIMMS
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain mathematical concepts to a non-technical audience
– Interest in demand-driven research, consulting, and research commercialisation
– The ability to translate high-level, loosely defined business challenges into precise problem statements that can be tackled using optimisation techniques
Applications close: Friday, 6 January 2023, 9pm AWST
If you have any queries in relation to this application process, please contact our careers team – firstname.lastname@example.org, 08 9266 9000 (option 3,1).
Click here to apply: https://staff.curtin.edu.au/job-vacancies/?ja-job=618995