Research Engineer Position in Transportation Engineering
The Institute of Engineering of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) is the top Mexican engineering research center (www.ii.unam.mx) dealing with topics that ranges from traditional structural analysis to applied superconductivity. Since its foundation, the Institute has conducted research to generate innovative designs and to solve actual technical problem. It has a long tradition of collaboration with public and private organizations to improve the national engineering practice. The Institute pays special attention to the training of human resources, the encouragement of original scientific research, and the dissemination of the corresponding results, thus contributing to the country’s development and society’s welfare.
In order to strengthen its research staff, the Institute invites members of the national and international scientific community to apply for the position of RESEARCH ENGINEER. The Research Group on Transportation Engineering and Logistics of the Institute is located in the south of Mexico City (Coyoacán), in Ciudad Universitaria.
Applications are encouraged from candidates with research interest in the area of Transportation Engineering: Urban Public Transportation Engineering, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Traffic Engineering, Transportation Network Analysis, Traffic Flow, Freight Transportation and Logistics, or Intermodal Transportation Systems, with sound experience on real transportation problems.
The successful applicant is expected to carry out high quality research throughout basic and applied engineering projects to significantly contribute to the solution of Mexican problems and to facilitate technology transfer that impacts in the development of Mexico. His/her duties will include the publication of results in top-ranked refereed journals, participation in national and international conferences, formulation of research proposals to attract funding, supervision of graduate students and teaching at graduate or undergraduate level.
Candidates should possess:
• A doctoral degree on Transportation Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research or related areas.
• A solid track record in research demonstrated through publications in internationally renowned (e.g. ISI indexed) journals.
• Interest in actively contributing to the research carried out by the group and a strong inclination to interdisciplinary collaboration.
• Proven experience in teaching and supervision of students.
• High degree of commitment.
• Highly developed skills and ability in the scientific transfer between theory and practice to promote the collaboration of the group with private and public sectors.
• Capacity for team work and outstanding oral and written communication skills in English.
• Intention to learn Spanish (for non-native speakers).
Candidates should electronically (pdf) submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, containing the following documentation:
1. Cover letter with research and teaching statement
2. CV containing a list of publications (maximum three pages)
3. Copy of the doctoral degree diploma
4. Copy of the doctoral thesis
5. Copy of main research products
6. A summary describing recent projects
7. Copy of birth certificate or passport
8. The name, position and e-mail addresses of three academic references
Review of applications will begin immediately but full consideration will be given to applications submitted no later than 31 December 2014.