Job Reference: 780919
• Fixed-term full-time research position (5 years), with an underlying permanent teaching and research appointment
• Help shape the future of the newly-launched Curtin Centre for Optimisation & Decision Science
School of Electrical Engineering, Computing, and Mathematical Sciences
The School of Electrical Engineering, Computing, and Mathematical Sciences at Curtin University brings together the university’s expertise in data science, artificial intelligence, and digital technologies. The school includes several major collaborative ventures with industry and government, including the Optus-Curtin Centre of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence, the ARC Industrial Training Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science, the Cisco Centre for Networks, and the Curtin Institute for Computation.
The school has recently launched the Curtin Centre for Optimisation and Decision Science, which involves 13 full-time staff with a focus on mathematical optimisation and prescriptive analytics for the optimisation and control of complex systems. The Centre is seeking a senior/principal research fellow to deepen its collaborations with industry and government, foster new demand-driven research opportunities, and mentor a growing group of postdoctoral researchers and PhD students. This is a research-focused position reporting to the Centre director. The successful candidate will grow into one of the Centre’s leaders and play a major role in its future evolution.
In this role you will …
• Lead optimisation research projects with industry, government, and university partners
• Conduct high-quality scholarly research in optimisation and operations research and disseminate the findings through publications in peer-reviewed international journals and seminars, workshops, and conferences
• Work in partnership with industry and government to translate research findings into real-world impact and commercialisation opportunities
• Supervise and mentor research fellows, PhD students, and honours students
• Contribute to business development efforts to secure research funding from various sources, including competitive grant programs, other industry and government funding channels, and professional consulting
Why choose Curtin?
• Young, vibrant university that is ranked in the top 300 universities worldwide according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities and QS World University Rankings
• New research centre in optimisation, with external collaborations across all sectors of the economy, including mining, energy, agriculture, defence, and manufacturing
• Balanced university where both fundamental and applied research are valued
• Easily accessible campus with gym, child care, wellness programs, and medical and counselling services
• Flexible working arrangements
• Located in Perth, the world’s sixth most liveable city according to the 2021 Global Liveability Index by the Economist Group
• Excellent maternity leave arrangements
• One of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 by the Diversity Council of Australia
For further information on Curtin’s employee benefits visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
We are looking for someone with …
• A doctoral qualification in mathematics or a related area
• An established record of publications in high-quality international journals in optimisation and operations research
• A strong theoretical background in optimisation and operations research, particularly in advanced techniques in integer programming and combinatorial optimisation
• Excellent computing skills and experience working with relevant programming languages and platforms such as Julia, Python, and AIMMS
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain mathematical concepts to a non-technical audience
• The ability to translate high-level, loosely-defined business challenges into precise problem statements that can be tackled using optimisation techniques
• Experience with inter-disciplinary research, consulting, and/or research grants
• A strong interest in research translation and commercialisation
• Emerging leadership skills
COVID 19 – Vaccination Policy
Candidates should note that some Curtin University positions are covered by the Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces. www.wa.gov.au/government/announcements/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-policy-wa-workforces
If the position you are applying for is covered by this policy, you will be required to provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination status (or formally granted exemption) prior to commencing employment.
Curtin University requires you to provide a cover letter and resume to include sufficient information and examples to allow us to assess your suitability for the role.
To view a copy of the role’s Position Description, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Applications close: 9:00pm AWST, Friday 25th February 2022
If you have a query in relation to the application process please contact our careers team on email@example.com
If you have any further queries regarding the role, please contact:
Professor Ryan Loxton, Director, Curtin Centre for Optimisation and Decision Science, firstname.lastname@example.org
Inclusion and Diversity at Curtin
We are committed to ensuring that Curtin has an inclusive environment, free from harassment, in which all students, staff and the community feel respected, valued and welcome.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, women, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and are committed to making reasonable adjustments to enable people with disability to participate fully in our recruitment, selection and appointment processes.
We have received recognition in this area:
• Voted one of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 (Diversity Council of Australia).
• Have become one of the first Universities to receive accreditation for an Elevated Reconciliation Action Plan.
• Achieved Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation (2018-2020).
• Voted 16th best workplace for new dads in Australia (HBF – Direct Advice for Dads, 2019)
Website URL: http://staff.curtin.edu.au/job-vacancies/?ja-job=430603